State Protest

If you disagree with the claim or the amount withheld, you may file a protest with the Collections Unit within 60 days of the date of the offset.  The offset date can be found on the top righthand corner of the notification letter.  If you do not file a protest within 60 days, the amount withheld will be sent to the claiming agency.  Please allow 3 to 5 business days for processing.

Protests can be filed online or by mail.  To file a protest online, click on “File Protest Online” below. To protest by mail, please send a letter describing the reason for your protest to:  State of Illinois Comptroller Attn: Collections Unit; 325 West Adams Street; Springfield, IL  62704-1858.  The letter must bear the original signature of the protester or the authorized agent, include the 14-digit IW number, and be accompanied by any documents that support your assertion.  You may waive your right to protest by mailing a written request to the address above.  The letter must explain the reason for the protest waiver request, bear the original signature of the protester, and include the 14-digit IW number.  If you file a protest waiver request, any amount(s) withheld will be immediately sent to the claiming agency.

We encourage you to contact the claiming agency prior to filing a protest. You may be able to resolve this matter without having to file a protest.  The claiming agency’s contact information can be found on your notification letter. 

Your protest will be processed in the order it was received. After we process your protest, we will mail you a confirmation letter. If you have any additional questions, please contact our office at 217-782-7525.

Please note, Illinois Law 35 ILCS 5/502(C) provides for the offset of a joint state income tax refund for the state debt of either filer.  Therefore, a protest for injured spouse relief will not be accepted.

To file a protest online click here