CHICAGO, IL— Illinois Comptroller Susana A. Mendoza today announced that nearly $11 million in funds have been paid out this month for construction and improvements at two Illinois Veterans’ Homes.
“I’ve been proud to advocate forcefully for the safety and well-being of the residents and workers at the Quincy Veterans’ Home. Whether they live in the Chicago area, central or southern Illinois, our veterans deserve quality care and a safe, comfortable place to call home,” Comptroller Mendoza said.
“We thank the Governor and the Comptroller for keeping our Veteran Homes on the forefront,” said IDVA Director Linda Chapa LaVia.
A payment of more than $7 million was released Friday for renovations at the Quincy Veterans’ Home. That funding comes after a $3.8 million payment was released earlier this month for construction on the Chicago Veterans’ Home. Work on the Chicago Veterans’ Home started under Governor Quinn, then was halted by the previous administration. Both payments come from funding approved for the current fiscal year.
Shortly after taking office, Governor JB Pritzker issued an Executive Order that requires the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs to deliver a report to the Governor containing a comprehensive review of weaknesses, strengths and opportunities for improvement at Illinois Veterans' Homes.
“I applaud Governor Pritzker’s commitment to veterans in our state and look forward to working with him to ensure that these heroes and their spouses get the care they deserve in safe and healthy Veterans’ Homes,” Comptroller Mendoza said.