Debt Transparency Reports (DTR)
The Debt Transparency Report (Public Act 100-0552) is an initiative of Comptroller Susana Mendoza. Public Act 100-0552 amends the State Finance Act and requires state agencies, as defined in the Act, to report their monthly liabilities in a manner prescribed by the Comptroller. The report is intended to provide greater transparency and a truer sense of bills for state services incurred but not yet sent to the Illinois Office of Comptroller for payment.
Agencies are to report monthly to the Illinois Office of Comptroller as outlined in Accounting Bulletin 234 several amounts, including:
- Bills held by agencies
- Late payment interest amounts on bills paid
- Projected shortfalls in appropriations
- Estimated late payment interest on bills at agencies
Public Act 100-0552 took effect January 1, 2018, and the first report from agencies, for the December 2017 reporting period, was due to the Illinois Office of Comptroller by January 10, 2018. Subsequent reports are due to the Illinois Office of Comptroller on or before the 10th calendar day of each month.
This report is not intended to summarize all debt of the State, such as pension obligations or bonded indebtedness. Other publications of the Illinois Office of Comptroller report this information.
Estimated General Funds Bills Pending
The estimated General Funds liabilities are composed of two portions:
- The total amount of pending vouchers and transfers from of the General Funds and Health Insurance Reserve Fund (state employee and retiree health insurance fund) on hold at the Illinois Office of Comptroller.
- As reported by the agencies under the Debt Transparency Act requirements, the amount of estimated Agency Liabilities (Column B) and Late Payment Interest (Column C) for certain funds, where the agency has sufficient information to process a payment. The funds included in the estimated agency hold total are those reported from one of the seven funds that comprise the General Funds (including the General Revenue Fund) and the Health Insurance Reserve Fund, adjusted for transfers pending from the General Revenue Fund to the Health Insurance Reserve Fund.
Unpaid liabilities for other funds in the State Treasury, including amounts reported for federal funds and self-supporting state funds, are excluded from the totals reported here. However, this information, by fund, is included in the agencies’ submissions.
View FY 2013-2017 Agency Invoice Reports here.