Check for Cash!

Does the State Have Your Uncashed Check?

Every year, thousands of state checks go uncashed. You can learn whether you are owed uncashed state checks that are $5 or more, and are between one and ten years old.

If an uncashed check (also called an escheated warrant) is located, the check replacement process also can be started here. As of February 2014, there were approximately 62,000 escheated warrants worth approximately $18 million.

Important: Please read the following

Only the person legally entitled to the original warrant, or their heirs or legal representatives, or a third party to whom it was properly negotiated or the heirs or legal representatives of such party, may request a replacement warrant. In the case of a warrant issued to a payee who dies before the warrant is paid by the State Treasurer and whose estate has been probated pursuant to law, the Comptroller, upon receipt of a certified copy of a judicial order establishing the person or entity entitled to payment, may issue a replacement warrant to such person or entity.

State law prohibits the replacement of a warrant outstanding for more than ten years beyond its issue date (15 ILCS 405/10.10(a) and (f-5)). Each replacement warrant is subject to the involuntary withholding provisions established at 15 ILCS 405/10.05, 10.05a, and 10.05b.


201 Statehouse
Springfield, IL 62704