Illinois Office of the Comptroller
Statement of Purpose for Collection of Identification Numbers
Identity Protection Policy
The Identity Protection Act, 5 ILCS 179/1 et seq., requires each local and State government agency to draft, approve, and implement an Identity Protection Policy that includes a statement of the purpose or purposes for which the agency is collecting and using an individual’s Social Security number (SSN). The Office of the Comptroller also collects Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) and Governmental Unit’s Code (GUC), and therefore, includes their collection within this statement of purpose. This statement of purpose is being provided to you because you have been asked by the Illinois Office of the Comptroller to provide your SSN, FEIN, GUC, or because you requested a copy of this statement.
You are being asked for your SSN, FEIN, or GUC for one or more of the following reasons:
- Complaint mediation or investigation;
- Crime victim compensation;
- Vendor services, such as executing contracts and/or billing;
- Law enforcement investigation;
- Child support collection;
- Internal verification;
- Administrative services; and/or
- Compliance with Federal and State Tax Laws and Regulations.
We will only use your SSN, FEIN, or GUC for the purpose for which it was collected.
We will not:
- Sell, lease, loan, trade, or rent your SSN, FEIN, or GUC to a third party for any purpose;
- Publicly post or publicly display your SSN,FEIN, or GUC;
- Print your SSN, FEIN, or GUC on any card required for you to access our services;
- Require you to transmit your SSN, FEIN, or GUC over the Internet, unless the connection is secure or your SSN, FEIN, or GUC is encrypted; or
- Print your SSN, FEIN, or GUC on any materials that are mailed to you, unless State or Federal law requires that number to be on documents mailed to you, or unless we are confirming the accuracy of your SSN, FEIN, or GUC.
If you have any questions or complaints about this Statement of Purpose you may contact The Illinois Office of the Comptroller by e-mail at SecAdmn@illinoiscomptroller.gov or by mail at the following address.
The Illinois Office of the Comptroller
Security Administration Unit
201 State Capitol Building
Springfield, Il 62706